Thursday, May 13, 2021

Danielle Brook Shares Her Parenting Experience

Photo: Amanda Pratt



 After years of not being represented or having only generic images placed on magazine covers, I was surprised to see Parents Magazine use a picture that actually looks  like a real live Black mother.  Danielle Brook, actress and powerhouse graced the May cover with her daughter, Freeya.  The Netflix and Lifetime star has played Taystee in Orange is the New Black on Netflix and Mahalia Jackson on a Lifetime movie.  Now Danielle is tackling her new role as mother, and surprised by her own parenting style. She always imagined she’d be a strict parent, until she had her daughter. After some disagreement with her mother,  she now realizes that she just wants Freeya to feel free to explore her environment and learn to make good decisions. As she explains in the article, “Her name’s Freeya. Part of me is like, ‘Just let that baby be free.” She has also discovered that motherhood has made her more fearless and more patient.

“Now I feel hopeful because I know how I’m going to raise my child. There’s one better human being in this world,” she said. “It’s work on the parents’ part to show our kids love. I pray I raise my daughter to be street smart and be able to tackle the world and not be defeated by it. Motherhood has been good. It feels good on me.”

Black Motherhood is not a monolithic experience, and the joy of mothering comes in many shades and sizes. Our stories are just beginning to be told. Hopefully, Black couples will also be featured on covers. 

Danielle's story is so  refreshing to hear, and you can learn more about her birth story on Netflix's Youtube, A Little Bit Pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment